All roads lead to Market Hall Museum as we celebrate ‘Bringing Home the Hoard’.
Enjoy a range of talks and activities for everyone to enjoy during October.
Roman Make and Create
Saturday 6th October 10am -12noon
Make a Roman Mosiac and get your own Roman coin stamped with our Roman Solider. £2 per child, no need to book just drop in.
Market Hall Museum Late – Roman Night
Thursday 10th October 7pm – 9pm
See our Roman coin Hoard. Have a go at writing your own Roman letter on wax tablets using a stylus. Did the Romans eat pizza? Play the food game and investigate what food the Romans ate, where in the world it came from and try grinding cumin seeds in a mortarium. Free event, donations welcomed to support the museum. No need to book, just drop in. Cafe/Bar open.
Show and Tell: Second South Warwickshire Roman Hoard
Thursday 17th October 1pm – 1.30pm
The Second South Warwickshire Roman Denarii hoard is home! Sara Wear, Curator of Human History will be talking about the hoard of 440 silver coins found in the Edge Hill. Find out more about this new discovery and what it tells us about Roman History and the lives of Warwickshire people 1900 years ago. FREE, donations welcome to support the museum.
The Second South Warwickshire Roman Hoard
Thursday 24th October 7.30pm
Dr Stanley Ireland of Warwick University will talk about the recently acquired 440 silver denarii coins uncovered during an archaeological dig at Edge Hill. It contains 78 coins dating to AD 68-69, a turbulent time in Roman history. £7.50. Museum open 7pm – 9pm. BOOK TICKETS
Salvete! Meet the Romans at the Museum
Wednesday 30th October 10am -3pm
Come and see our Roman Hoard as we celebrate ‘Bringing Home the Hoard’.
* Build a Roman archway without any glue
* Design your own mosaic
* Make a ‘gladius’ – a Roman soldier’s sword
* Use a mortarium to grind some cumin
* Play some ancient Roman board games
* Experience a Roman military drill and sharpen up your marching skills to become a centurion worthy of the Roman Empire. There will be costume available to dress up in for the marching. Drills will be held outside regardless of weather and will last approximately 20 minutes, please dress appropriately. Drills at 10:15am, 11:15am, 1:15pm, and 2:15pm. Spaces are limited for the military drills, booking in advance is advised. BOOK TICKETS
£2.50 per child. All children must be accompanied by an adult.
Roman Make and Create
Saturday 2nd November 10am – 12noon
See our Roman Hoard on display and make a Roman Laurel Leaf Crown. £1 per child, no need to book just drop in.