Admission is FREE and there’s no need to book. Here you will find all the information you need to plan your visit to the Record Office. We’ve produced this handy PDF checklist to help you plan your visit.
How to find us
- Public transport: Download our leaflet if you are travelling by public transport.
- You can find all the public West Midlands travel information on their website.
- Car parking: We have limited car parking with a dropping off zone and disabled spaces. Please telephone us if you would like to reserve a disabled space or discuss your needs in any detail. There is wheelchair access.
- A leaflet on Warwick District Council’s website shows pay and display car parks in the town.
- Map: Download a Warwick Town Centre map or find us on Google maps.
Access and admission
- There is no admission charge and you do not need to book an appointment.
- Accessibility: Our searchroom is in a building with a range of accessibility features.
- Our searchroom is remains open throughout our opening hours.
- We are not able to produce documents from the strongrooms between 12-2.15pm
Due to a fault with our strongroom racking, the following collections may be inaccessible:
CR 1998 – CR 3000
We are working to fix the problem as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Previous Winter closure
The record office was closed between the 8th – 19th January to allow staff to work on a number of projects aimed at improving access to our collections. We have produced a report of our progress during the weeks for you to read.
CARN reader’s ticket
We are members of the County Archive Research Network (CARN) ticket scheme. These tickets are accepted at many different record offices.
If you don’t have a CARN ticket we can issue one to you. Please bring identification showing your name, address and signature.
A driving licence would be ideal,
A combination of documents covering these requirements is acceptable.
Searchroom staff including professionally-qualified archivists are available during our opening hours to help you with your research.
If you would like an introduction to using the record office, please book a tour with a record office volunteer.
Services and facilities
For details of the services we offer, including ordering documents in advance and use of cameras and laptops in the searchroom, please see our searchroom services.
We have a shop stocking books, conservation supplies and gifts. Our quality second hand bookshop, Priory Books, stocks fiction and non-fiction books.
Reader’s Tea Room
We have a tea room for readers where you can buy a variety of snacks and hot and cold drinks. We also have three public PCs in the tea room which can be used without a CARN ticket. These have access to subscription sites such as Ancestry and Midland’s Historical Data.
Toilets are available on the premises.