Admission is FREE and there’s no need to book. Here you will find all the information you need to plan your visit to the Record Office. We’ve produced this handy PDF checklist to help you plan your visit.
How to find us
- Public transport: Download our leaflet if you are travelling by public transport.
- You can find all the public West Midlands travel information on their website.
- Car parking: There is limited car parking with a dropping off zone and disabled spaces. Please telephone us if you would like to reserve a disabled space or discuss your needs in any detail. There is wheelchair access.
- A leaflet can be found on Warwick District Council’s website showing pay and display car parks in the town.
- Map: Download a Warwick Town Centre map or find us on Google maps.
Access and admission
- There is no admission charge and you do not need to book an appointment unless you want to book a tour of the searchroom with a volunteer.
- Accessibility: Our searchroom is in a building with a range of accessibility features.
- We close to the public for the first full week of each month, to allow staff to tackle our cataloguing backlog as part of our Collection Weeks.
- We are not able to produce documents from the strongrooms between 12-2.15pm, though our searchroom will remain open
CARN reader’s ticket
We are members of the County Archive Research Network (CARN) ticket scheme. CARN tickets are accepted at a number of different record offices, so if you already have a valid CARN ticket you can use this and there is no need to apply for a new one.
If you don’t already have a CARN ticket, please bring identification showing your name, address and signature (a driving licence is ideal). If you don’t have a driving licence then a combination of documents covering these requirements is acceptable.
Professionally-qualified archivists, and also archive assistants are available at all times during our opening hours to help you with your research. For more information on the services available in our searchroom, please visit our services page. For details of the collections we hold please visit our archival collections and research guides page.
If you would like a one-to-one introduction to using the record office, please book a tour with a record office volunteer.
Services and facilities
For details of the services we offer, including ordering documents in advance and use of cameras and laptops in the searchroom, please see our searchroom services.
We have a shop where you can purchase a number of local history publications relating to Warwickshire, general research guides, prints, postcards, notelets, conservation supplies and many other items.
We have now launched a quality second hand bookshop called Priory Books, with a selection of books on a wide range of topics.
Reader’s Tea Room
We have a tea room for readers located opposite the reception desk, where you can purchase a variety of snacks and hot and cold drinks. We also have three public PCs in the tea room with access to subscription sites such as Ancestry and Midland’s Historical Data, which can be used without the need for a CARN ticket.
Toilets are available on the premises.