We invite you to join the Friends of the Warwickshire County Record Office! The Friends were founded in 1988 and charitable status was granted a year later. Our aims are to:
- Support the work of our County Record Office.
- Promote the education of the public through the use of historical records.
Find out more
- Events: We have a list of events on our events page.
- Join us: Everyone is welcome to join Friends of Warwickshire County Record Office. More information on how to apply.
- Newsletters: We publish three newsletters a year which members receive on publication. Past newsletters can be found on our Newsletters page.
- Donations: We depend on donations to help purchase collections of historic records for the County of Warwickshire. You don’t need to join the Friends to make a donation, simply follow this link to our donation page.
The Friends are a vital part of the work of the Record Office. So far we have:
- Supported successful bids for funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
- Raised approximately £42,000 since 1988.
This has helped the County Record Office to buy archival material of all types relating to Warwickshire’s history over the past 1,000 years. This includes fascinating manuscripts, printed books, photographs, maps and ephemera, as well as machine-readable databases for family historians.
Essential equipment provided by the Friends includes a document weighing machine, a map cabinet, display screens, and a slide projector. We have also given:
- £3,000 towards the furnishing of the readers’ tea room in the renovated Record Office.
- £4,000 towards the purchase of indexes of Births, Marriages and Deaths from the General Register Office.
- £1,500 towards a leaf casting machine for the conservation department.
- £2,000 towards the purchase of the estate records of Waller of Woodcote.
- £5,000 towards the purchase of the Willes collection.
The current members of the committee are:
Chairman: Mrs Christine Cluley
Tel: 01386 593540
Hon. Treasurer: Mr Michael Dane
28 Newbold Road, Wellesbourne, CV35 9QE
Tel: 01789 470491
Hon. Secretary: Miss Andie Gray
16 Broad Street, Warwick, CV34 4LT
Tel: 01926 747400
Mr Steven Wallsgrove (Vice Chairman)
Mr Philip Bonehill
Mr Richard Chamberlaine-Brothers
Mr Peter Coulls
Miss Marianne Horne
Mr David Howe
Mrs Sue Rigby
Mrs Sue Tall
Co-opted committee members:
Mr Rob Eyre
Mrs Hilary Peck (Newsletter Editor)
The Friends do not collect any personal data from our website pages. However, please note that the web pages of the Friends on the Heritage and Culture Warwickshire website are hosted by Warwickshire County Council and are subject to the Council’s privacy notice which is available by clicking on the link at the bottom of this page.